December 16, 2014
This recipe was my mother’s. As long as I can remember, she made it every Christmas. At our home it’s become a family tradition to serve every Thanksgiving and Christmas. Make this the day before serving, so it will set up firmly. Can be molded, if you desire.
- 2 packages Knox Gelatin
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pound cranberries**
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 large apple, seeded and chopped, leave peeling on
- 1 large navel orange, peeled, segmented and cut into smaller pieces**
- 1 lemon, squeezed for juice**
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup boiling water
- Soak Knox Gelatin in 1/2 cup water
- Wash, drain and grind the cranberries**
- Add sugar, chopped pecans, chopped apple and orange pieces
- Sprinkle with lemon juice and orange juice
- Add 1 cup boiling water to the soaked gelatin. Stir until fully dissolved
- Add dissolved gelatin to the fruit and nut mixture
- Mix well and chill until firm
**Note: I use the grinder attachment to my mixer. A Ninja or food processor would also work.
In addition, I grind up a little of the lemon and orange rind to add to the taste.