November 18, 2014
This is absolutely the best dressing I have ever had and so simple to make. It was given to me a two years ago by my daughter. Put it in the crock pot and forget it. Hope you enjoy
Servings: 14-16 (this estimate may be a little generous)
- 6 cups cornbread, baked (the boxed cornbread mixes such as Jiffy will make this sweeter)
- 8 slices day old bread
- 4 eggs
- 1 medium onion, chopped*
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped*
- 1- 1/2 tablespoons sage or 1- 1/2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth or 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans turkey broth
- 1/4 cup butter
- salt to taste
- Day before bake the cornbread.
- Lay your bread out on the counter the night before you prepare the dressing so that it will dry.
- Crumble the breads together.
- Add all other ingredients except butter.
- Salt to taste.
- Pour into a non-stick sprayed crock pot.
- Dot with butter.
Cover and cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 4 hours (I usually use low). Absolutely do not lift the lid until done.
*Note: I use more onion and celery.
This is so much easier to do. For me, no more hours and hours in the kitchen making dressing. You can do one half if not much is needed. I sometimes double the recipe, so there will be enough to freeze.